What to Do with Your Tax Refund or Other “Found Money”

February 26, 2008

Garrett Planning Network Provides Thirteen Smart Ideas

(Lee’s Summit, MO) February 24, 2008 – After concluding their tax preparation activities, many people will see that they are entitled to a refund from Uncle Sam. “Whether you refund is large or small, you are wise to determine now what you will do when that check arrives,” says Sheryl Garrett, CFP®, author of Personal Finance Workbook For Dummies® (Wiley, November 2007) and founder of the Garrett Planning Network (www.GarrettPlanningNetwork.com). “Don’t fritter it away or spend it on a whim.”

On a recent teleconference, network members brainstormed thirteen ways taxpayers can put this “found money” to work:

1. Put the entire amount, up to the maximum allowed by law ($4000 for an individual in 2007 unless you are age 50+, then the maximum contribution is $5000; $5000 for an individual in 2008 unless you are age 50+, then the maximum is $6000), into a Roth IRA assuming your income falls below the government thresholds (the phase out for singles in 2007 is $99-$114,000 and in 2008 it’s $101-116,000; for married couples in 2007, the phase out is $156-166,000 and in 2008, it’s $159-$169,000).

If you are saving for higher education funding needs, withdrawals of regular contributions to a Roth IRA are not subject to tax or penalty and can be made at any time, and you can take a “qualified distribution” (one that is made after a 5 year holding period, beginning on the first day of the first year for which the contributions were made), if one of the following applies: (1) you are a first-time home buyer, (2) you are age 59 1/2 or older (3) the distribution is due to death or disability. If your earned income for 2007 is higher than the phase-out thresholds, put your “found money” into another qualified retirement plan such as a 401(k), 403(b) or 457 plan if your employer offers one. Consider contributing to a traditional IRA if you have maxed out contributions to your employer-sponsored plan or if a Roth IRA is not an option.

Read more


Beacon Financial Advisors, LLC, is a fee-only financial planning and Registered Investment Advisory firm headquartered in Lee’s Summit, Missouri and serving the greater Kansas City area.

The firm offers comprehensive financial planning services. Beacon advisors work solely for their clients. Click here to learn more about our services.

About Us

Kristine McKinley, CFP®, CPA, is the founding principal of Beacon Financial Advisors, LLC, an independent, fee-only financial planning firm located in Lee’s Summit, Missouri and serving the greater Kansas City area.

Kristine focuses on providing fee-only financial planning, investment advice, and tax preparation to individuals and families from all income levels.  About Us

In the News

Investment News – Kristine McKinley discusses the 0% Social Security COLA (for 2016) in No Social Security cost-of-living adjustment in 2016.

Kiplinger Magazine/NAPFA – Kristine McKinley answered reader’s tax questions during the 2013 Jump Start Your Retirement Plan Days sponsored by Kiplinger magazine and the NAPFA Consumer Education Foundation.